Interpretation signage for Langwarrin Flora & Fauna Reserve. Hand crafted typeface for the headings and designed to be complimentary to the job we did at Point Nepean National Park. Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve has had a long and important role in the military history of Victoria and Australia. Established as a Defence Reserve in 1886, 49 hectares of land was cleared of vegetation to allow for military training and encampments of Victorian colonial forces. The men of these colonial forces were part-time soldiers, similar to today’s reservists.
The reserve at Langwarrin was chosen as an ideal location to house prisoners of war in late 1914. The surrounding bush meant the facility remained private and hidden from the local community. The prisoners detained at Langwarrin were German, Austrian and Turkish nationals living in Australia at the outbreak of the First World War. Later in 1915 a hospital complex was established within the reserve to treat Australian soldiers sent home from deployment suffering venereal diseases they had contracted overseas.
Well worth a visit.